Theme Week 2 Recap: Web3 Gaming Intro 🎮
As the Web3 Gaming Hub, we provide you with high-quality content and insights about the Web3 Gaming World. In the beginning of our journey, we would like to get everyone on the same page and introduce you to the basics of Web3 gaming 🚀
What is Web3 Gaming?
Web3 gaming is a process of decentralized gaming where the characteristics of a gaming platform/ecosystem are delegated away from any central authority. Those characteristics include the ownership of gaming assets and in case of a DAO, as well the decision-making in all aspects of the game.
Web3-based games allow the players to engage with the games in innovative and decentralized ways. One of these ways is Play2Earn (P2E) where players can fully access and own in-game digital assets like Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs).
How are Web3 games built?
Web3 games are built by integrating blockchain into the gaming ecosystem. This allows gamers to express their opinion on when and how the game should evolve.
Web3 gaming also lays down the foundation of P2E for players and changes the pay-to-play aspect by offering asset trading, tradeable game tokens and opportunities to earn while playing.
What are the core features of Web3 gaming platforms besides ownership?
- Old game integration: older game models can be integrated into the Metaverse and blockchain platforms in a decentralized way.
- Negligible downtime and high scalability: block minting and high game data storage cause autonomy and minimal maintenance cost without intervention from any authority.
- Transparency: Blockchain-based gaming relies on voting consensus to modify the gaming process and is equally accessible to all players within the network. This ensures high transparency.
What technologies are used in Web3 gaming?
- Blockchain Technology: Web3 games are built on blockchain architectures to allow permissionless and trustless access. The blockchain gives players the chance to own their assets and explore entire gaming worlds by providing more openness and transparency which in turn enhance the gaming experience.
- Smart contracts: They monitor and govern different aspects of the game processes — they are the backbone of the Web3 games. Smart contracts automatically execute lines of code and define agreement rules. Additionally, they organize voting and decision-making for possible changes in game evolutions. The smart contracts we used for Angry Dynomites can be found in our Discord in the official-links channel.
- Digital wallets: Digital wallets can hold different gaming collectibles and in-game assets like NFTs. They are based on the blockchain and contain a unique wallet address to identify each player. Unlike physical wallets, they store public and private keys to receive transactions on the network.
What is the difference to traditional gaming?
In traditional gaming, players’ ownership is simply a license for engaging with the aspects of the game — meaning they will lose the assets if they change the platform.
In Web3 the player owns their NFTs and can transfer them over to other gaming platforms. This democratizes all aspects of gaming and puts the main power in the hands of the player instead of confining it to one central authority within a game.
What could be the future of Web3 gaming?
Two words everyone will tell you: MASS ADOPTION.
What is that? Web3 gaming is still quite young and there are not many players yet. However, the potential is huge and we believe that more and more gamers will find their fun in the new technologies. Since not only the owners, but also the players are incentivized and able to enhance the experience, the room for innovation and improvement is infinite and powerful. Overall, Web3 games connect people — and this is what most gamers and humans strive for.
We hope you enjoyed this theme week and cannot wait to introduce you to the next topic on the upcoming Monday!
Join the Dyno Community now 🦖
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Twitch
Join our Discord
Watch our Angry Dyno trailer here